Saturday, January 5, 2008

Wearing XP Still Orgasmic


This year of the Rat, the only reason I would upgrade to Windows Vista is because my new PC would be pre-install with the pig. While Vista has cool looks, it does not have the substance and essence of Megan (pic). With virtualization, I can choose to run virtual instances of XP well past the "official" XP availability date. I'll strip off Vista, install a hypervisor, drop an XP instance on top, and go on my merry way. Anything on my lap top would be a Megan or something even more desirable. Why would any one log in and out to anything of less orgasmic nature?

This is the reason, I believe, that Microsoft's head of Windows marketing, Michael Sievert, has "left the company," corporate-speak for "been dumped." At least they didn't add the killer clause, "to pursue other interests," which is corporate-speak for "dumped with enthusiasm." Without rehashing the myriad criticisms of Vista, Microsoft's main problem is that there is a perfectly acceptable alternative already in use with most potential customers: XP. And Vista does not provide sufficient improvement to justify the license cost and work required to migrate. Michael Sievert didn't shout loud enough to get people to buy Vista?

Pretty good lessons here to learn about product decision and marketing. Does marketing need to tweak the message or shout louder? Or is it a case of, "It's The Product, Stupid!".

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Now if only Playboy hopped on the Augmented Reality bandwagon . . . aahh . . . the possibilities.