Friday, June 13, 2008

Amazing Creations for Father's Day




Craigslist
In Kuala Terengganu, you can't find any classifieds in any newspaper or ads in any 7-Eleven Community Board on room or house for rent. I scouted the city and suburbs, but not a single notice on any unoccupied house if it's for rent. But, in many US cities, Craigslist is the best way to get a job, find an apartment, buy furniture or get a date. It's not flashy or slick, but you won't see any commercial ads here, and the Best Of section is not to be missed.

To me the attractiveness of this creation is that the classifieds are not edited. Another attraction, too, is the anonymity of the Internet - so now I get to shed some inhibition. Some landlords and apartment dwellers looking for roommates are offering to accept sex in lieu of rent on Craigslist. There's an ad offering a room in exchange for "sex and light office duty." Another, a one-bedroom pool house is free "to a girl that is skilled and willing." Yet another ad, a USD700-a-month room is available at a discount to a fit female willing to provide sex. I just wonder if these guys really get to collect rent under the sheets. But it gives me some absurd Father's Day idea.

I got two empty rooms in Kuala Terengganu and now that I could shed some inhibition, I'm thinking of taking a little adventure with this form of voyeurism and hope that it does result in an actual exchange of sex for rent. I'll use the local Terengganu term - homestay, instead of house for rent. Guys, when you see an ad that goes like this, let the hot chicks know: "Athletic MBA Man offering attractive Homestay package in Kuala Terengganu. RM500 per day, negotiable for attractive and willing young females. Offer expires after Fathers Day". Should I change the tag for this post to something sexy and absurd?

Google Maps
I could find, with ease, my way to Kampong Biawak, Lundu, Sarawak with this Google Map on my HTC TyTN II phone. People said I could get fish, fresh from the fishermen's boat a Pulau Kambing in Kuala Terengganu. I located the place on Google Map on my phone and got my fresh fish just as they landed from the sea at the Pulau Kambing jetty. Google's Street View brought a new dimension to mapping this year, offering users real-life images from ground level.

Yelp.com
At Yelp, customers write critical appraisals of everything from theaters to public restrooms. It's the "wisdom of the crowd" in action. Does anyone know if we have something similar here in Malaysia, comprehensive, reliable? If so, it means we Malaysians have moved one level up from being mere consumer of internet-based info to providers of good content.

NYTimes.com
So much have been said about how this grand old newspaper reinvented itself. It has crafted a strong, user-friendly online presence spiced with engaging interactive graphics and first-rate news video. Check this out to see how brilliant the online presence has been designed to give us such an awesome online experience. Our local thestar.com.my is almost there, I think. But the poor guys in RTM, Media Prima and NSTP's www.emedia.com.my continues to remain latecomers, if they ever get to survive the next few years.
http://www.nytimes.com/

Sidestep
SideStep scans more than 200 other travel-focused Web sites, looking for low-priced flights, hotels, rental cars and cruises. The bottom line: It's surprisingly effective at finding deals. It's a great model. Somehow, I haven't found a low-priced deal that low-priced enough for an average Malaysian like me.

Digg
Digg continues to serve denizens of the Web as the most reliable barometer of must-read news on the Internet. Another interesting idea.

Flock
On Father's Day when you get sick of having to surf to all your favorite sites and services, get Flock. Flock integrates Facebook updates, Twitter feeds, YouTube videos, Flickr photo streams, Gmail and Yahoo Mail and blogging tools into a single navigation (and browsing) interface. Read a review here.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Now if only Playboy hopped on the Augmented Reality bandwagon . . . aahh . . . the possibilities.